While it has been a bit quiet around Open UI recently, Oracle is busy preparing statements of directions. So make sure you check out Oracle Support frequently for news.
While we are waiting anxiously for the release, I am glad to be able to share some details on Siebel Open UI.
First some facts about Siebel versions:
- Customers interested in Siebel Open UI should be on SIA 8.1 or higher.
- Open UI will be part of the 2012 innovation pack.
- Please don't ask when. It'll come ;-)
|The Contact List View in Siebel Open UI. Click to enlarge.|
(Note the "Siebel 2000 style left hand navigation")
A future-proof web user interface should fulfill the following requirements:
- Work in any browser.
- Support native browser features such as zoom, bookmark, tabbed browsing, spell check.
- Support connected and disconnected mode.
- Adapt to the device (desktop, tablet, smartphone) dynamically.
- Support open standards like HTML and CSS.
|Or do you prefer "Siebel 7/8" screen tabs? Click to enlarge.|
What is the effort to deploy Siebel Open UI?
The answer from Oracle is that Open UI is an alternative to the existing HI and SI user interfaces which we all love. So basically, you apply the innovation pack and then set up a separate object manager with the magic "Open UI parameter". Open UI builds on top of all existing applet and view definitions and web templates. Existing browser script will remain unchanged.
Can we configure it?
|Siebel Open UI on the iPad. Click to enlarge.|
Here are some last minute bullet points which will keep us salivating until GA:
- Native "app" look and feel
- Data preview and auto fill
- Efficient navigation and keyboard shortcuts
- Screen reader support
- Data Execution Prevention (DEP) support
- Portal/Portlet friendly